Want to have your say on the 2021 Budget? The City will be rolling out a variety of engagement methods to collect input and feedback from residents and businesses on the 2021–2024 Budget and Business Plan. The City will seek input from September 14 to October 23, 2020.
“In a challenging year the City’s budget funds services that residents and businesses need every day,” says Gary Kent, Commissioner of Corporate Services and Chief Financial Officer. “Our 2021 Budget needs to manage the deficit from the pandemic while providing services and programs. We are following our financial recovery principles that Council approved and trying to build a budget that reflects the needs of the community. While Council has already held multiple engagement sessions and received input throughout the COVID-19 recovery planning process, we continue to look for input to assist Council in their decision making. We are looking to involve as many as possible in the coming weeks through a variety of methods, with the public being fully engaged and kept up-to-date.”
For details view the staff reports from:
June 24, 2020 Budget Committee Meeting: Update on the Financial Impacts of COVID-19.
April 8, 2020 Council Meeting: Managing the Financial Impact of COVID-19
Become familiar with the City’s 2021 Budget and Business Plan
Look through the City’s 2021 Budget and Business Plan and understand why these documents play an important role in shaping our city. Learn more and get involved by:
- Visiting mississauga.ca/budget and see what you get for your tax dollars
- Reading an overview of the 2021 preliminary Budget and Business Plan, presented to the Budget Committee on June 24, 2020
- Watching for the full 2021 proposed Budget and Business Plan (to be posted online in November)
- Watching or attending Budget Committee meeting scheduled for October 7 and/or Budget Committee deliberations scheduled for November 23, 24, 30, December 1 and 2 (Budget Committee meeting schedules are subject to change – please visit the City’s Council and Committees Calendar for any updates that may occur)
Get involved with budget engagement from September 14 to October 23
The City’s budget process is transparent and offers several ways for residents and businesses to get involved, provide feedback and engage over a six-week period by:
The City’s Budget Allocator
Mississauga’s interactive budget tool for the 2021 Budget will be available at mississauga.ca/budget starting September 14, 2020. Residents and businesses can explore and learn more about City services included in the budget while gaining insight into the overall budget process.
Residents can use the tool to test different spending options in service areas. Results from the allocator will be shared at Budget Committee on November 23. The results will help inform the committee’s review of the 2021 proposed Business Plan and Budget.
Help us understand what matters to you. Visit mississauga.ca/budget to stay informed, learn more and share your ideas on the 2021 Budget.
Budget Committee Meetings
The next Budget Committee meeting is on October 7, where staff will discuss Fees and Charges. Detailed discussions continue on November 23, 24, 30, December 1 and 2. Following committee discussions and public input, Council is scheduled to vote on the proposed budget on December 9.
Budget Committee meeting dates are subject to change.
Fees and Charges
- Wednesday, October 7 at 1:30 p.m.
Service Area Presentations
- Monday, November 23 at 9:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, November 24 at 9:30 a.m.
- Monday, November 30 at 9:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, December 1 at 9:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, December 2 at 1:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 9:30 a.m.
City Council is expected to approve the final budget at the December 9 Council Meeting.